Urban development services

We support urban growth by making sure new high density residential or industrial and commercial developments on the CitiPower network have access to safe and reliable power.

Our services include:

  • Providing a new power supply (both temporary for the construction phase, and permanent for the final development)
  • Abolishing electricity services
  • Relocating power assets
  • Installing, removing or relocating street lighting

We encourage you to apply for any service early in the development process, so we can advise how we can best support you.

Apply for these services through MySupply

Once you’ve applied, we will contact you to discuss your project needs.

We will always initially offer the lowest-cost solution that meets the technical requirements of the project.

Urban development service process

If the project’s design is certain:

We can provide you with an offer for design and construction up front, with a Negotiated Connection Contract (NCC) or Recoverable Works Contract (RWC).

If the project design is not certain:

We will need to establish design certainty first, with a Specification and Design Services Contract (SDSC).  Once this step is completed, we will provide you with an offer for final design and construction, with an NCC or RWC.

Fast-track option

A fast-track option may be available for projects on a strict deadline. Find out more below.

Types of contracts

Negotiated Connection Contract (NCC): This is the agreement for work required to connect to our distribution network. We issue an NCC for new power supply services (temporary and permanent). This will outline terms and conditions for your project, including what is needed to provide connections to the distribution network, the expected cost, any applicable rebates.

Specification and Design Services Contract (SDSC): This is the agreement to establish the project’s scope, specifications and carry out preliminary design to remove uncertainty. An SDSC outlines how we will undertake design investigation activities and determine design certainty.

Recoverable Works Contract (RWC): This is the agreement for work required to rearrange the existing distribution network. We issue an RWC for abolishments and asset relocations.

Typical timeframes

The time it takes to deliver these services depends on:

  • the complexity of the project
  • its location and accessibility factors
  • our network capacity
  • Council requirements and approval processes, which differ depending on the council
  • the requirement for soil testing.

We do our best to make sure we deliver these services as soon as possible, but please be aware sometimes factors outside our control may impact timelines.

As a guide, the typical time frames for services are:

  • Sag and sway assessment (for asset relocation projects): 6 weeks
  • Preparing and issuing NCC or RWC: 20 business days
  • Preparing and issuing SDSC offer: 20 business days
  • Design: 8-13 weeks
  • Soil testing: 4-6 weeks
  • Council consents: 4-6 weeks
  • Construction: 10-14 weeks

As part of our process, we will provide you with a project specific timeline for your project which will outline the steps required to provide you with the requested service.

Speeding up the process

To enable us to provide these services to you as smoothly as possible, there are some simple things you can do.

1.    Work with a professional to advise your scope

Before you make your application, we advise working with an engineering consultant, registered electrical contractor or builder to advise on your electrical requirements.

2.   Come to us early

The earlier you engage us in the development process, the sooner we can start the process and work together to achieve your project milestones.

3.   Provide us any necessary information up front

This includes letting us know the project’s key milestones, so we can best deliver to your needs.

4.   Apply for multiple services at the same time

For example, when you apply for a permanent power supply for a development, it’s a good idea to also apply for the temporary power supply. That way, we can work together to align delivery of the temporary power supply with the builders on site start date. In some circumstances there may be savings in considering all components of the project at one time.

5.   Speak to us about fast-track options

A fast-track option may be available for projects on a strict deadline. Our ability to offer you this option will depend on the project’s complexity, third party constraints (such as the requirement for soil testing and council consents), as well as the availability of our design and construction resources. If you require a fast-track service, please discuss this with us early.

Our services

New power supply – temporary and permanent

This includes:

  • A temporary power supply, so there is electricity for your builder to commence on site construction works.
  • A permanent power supply for the final development.

We understand that temporary power supply is crucial to the commencement of your building works so we recommend applying for this as soon as possible. By engaging with us early, we can work together to make temporary power available to your site in time for the commencement of your building works.

The process for both a temporary and permanent power supply is the same, but you will need to make two separate applications.

New power supply application process:

  1. Apply through mySupply, and let us know:
    • How much supply is needed
    • Where the power supply point of connection will be located
    • When you need the power supply by
  1. We contact you and discuss the best option that meets your needs, and what would be involved, including:
    • The lowest cost option available,
    • Other potential solutions that will meet your needs.

Temporary power supply

Any customer can apply for a temporary power supply. However, we recommend the developer applies for a temporary supply at the same time as a permanent supply. This will help us meet your overall project timeframes and ensure temporary power is made available to your site in time for the commencement of your building works.

By applying early in the process, the developer can choose to either:

  • Accept and pay for the SDSC. Have the NCC offer issued to the builder. Builder accepts and pays for NCC.
  • Accept and pay for both SDSC and NCC.

In cases where we have design certainty, we may be able to issue an NCC up front and skip the SDSC step.

We recommend speaking to an engineering consultant, registered electrical contractor or builder to advise on the project’s electrical requirements. Typical options for temporary supply include:

  • Underground pit or overhead service (160A).
  • Dedicated underground circuits (single circuit of 315A or double circuit of 600A)
  • Installation of a kiosk (500kVA/700A, 1000kVA/1400A, or 1500kVA/2100A).

The above options may require us to augment our network to provide you with the required amount of load.

Abolishing electricity services

An abolishment is the safe removal of any existing power services or assets on the property that is being developed, such as underground cables and any substations.

Abolishments are usually needed when demolition works are involved.

If an electrical service or asset needs to be removed, we need to make sure we can safely transfer the electrical load. This is a complex process, so we advise contacting us as soon as possible.

In some circumstances, the works to abolish an existing connection may include making the temporary power supply available for the builder at the same time.

Abolishment application process:

  1. Apply through mySupply, and let us know:
    • The address of the property
    • What you want to abolish, including how many supplies, and the type of supply, if known.
  1. We contact you and present the best option that meets your needs, and what would be involved.

Asset relocations

Electrical assets, such as power poles and lines, often need to be relocated in order to:

  • make room for driveways, cranes, loading zones, scaffolding, gantries, and other tall machinery during the construction phase,
  • enable safe workplace conditions on the building site
  • ensure that your building meets required clearances to our electrical assets
  • ensure a Certificate of Occupancy can be obtained for the new building
  • for aesthetic purposes.

We typically first need to undertake a sag and sway assessment for you.

In some cases, relocating our assets may also affect other utilities or services such as trams, street lighting and telecommunications. If this is the case, you will need to work directly with these authorities.

Asset relocation process:

  1. Apply for any asset relocations through MySupply and let us know what you are looking to relocate. Please share any relevant info, such as the scaffold, gantry, loading zone, crane and driveway positions for the construction site.
  2. We will contact you to discuss your requirements.

Street lighting

If you would like us to disconnect, remove, modify or provide new street lighting for your project, contact the local council or VicRoads in the first instance.

Street lighting maintenance and running costs are funded by councils or VicRoads, depending on which body is responsible for the street they are on. We carry out operational, maintenance, installation, and replacement activities.

Once we have written approval from the relevant authority, we can plan to deliver the requested activities.

Find out who is responsible for each Victorian road

question mark icon

Looking for something else in
Network upgrades with mySupply

Explore another page