A brownfield site is an existing multiple occupancy site with an existing connection to the CitiPower or Powercor distribution network.
A brownfield embedded network connection requires:
- Creation of Parent Metering
- Embedded Network establishment
- Child NMI/Meter Management
As there are existing NMIs or metering to be converted, exit fees will apply to sites established after 1 December 2017. No physical new connection is required, however, the ENOs REC will still need to submit a new connection request via eConnect to insert a parent meter into the existing supply with a new NMI.
The parent metering can be installed but will not go-live into the market until the Part A & Part B paperwork has been fully completed and returned to the network.
* Where a brownfield embedded network is incorporating existing CitiPower and Powercor NMI connection points and/or CitiPower and Powercor AMI metering, the NMIs will be transferred to the ENM. They will be required to remove and replace all existing CitiPower and Powercor meters on ‘Go Live’ date.
Becoming an Exempt Embedded Network Service Provider (EENSP)
Electricity is supplied to End Users in an embedded network by an EENSP
Under section 13 of the National Electricity Law anyone who owns, controls or operates a distribution system must either be:
- (a) registered with AEMO (Australian Energy Market operator) as an NSP (Network Service Provider); or
- (b) exempted from the requirement to be an NSP by the AER (Australian Energy regulator).
Anyone seeking exemption from the requirement to register as an NSP must apply to the AER. If the exemption is granted, that person becomes an EENSP.
To assist potential applicants for exemption, the AER has published an Electricity Network Service Provider Registration Exemption Guideline (Guideline), which is available at: www.aer.gov.au
Appointing an Embedded Network Manager (ENM)
You may require an ENM to be appointed.The ENM role was introduced under the AEMC’s (Australian Energy Market Commission) Power of Choice reforms.
For more information on the role of the ENM is available here
Submitting a request
Requests to set-up an Embedded Network can be made via eConnect
Part A and Part B forms are available on our Documents and further information page